Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Estimate Puppies Adult Weight

***Check my Growth Stats page to see my mini's growth over time!***
 
Predict your dog's adult weight:
This site had the most accurate prediction for our mini aussie http://www.puppyweights.com/. Select Australian Shepherd as the breed (since that's what they are anyways).

Where Do Mini's fit in?
You often see that dogs are divided into the following categories:
Small (Chihuahuas and Yorkies)
Medium (Beagles, Cocker Spaniels)
Large (German Sheperds, Goldens)
Mini Aussies can fall anywhere between small and medium (16-40 lbs), depending on their parents and lineage.  Indie's parents are almost Toy size (which I didn't find out until I AFTER I got him, ooops ^_^)...both were around 20 lbs. Indie is definitely in the small/toy category because he appears to be maxing out at around 20 lbs as well.

Guestimate your Mini's adult weight:
The general consensus is that bigger dogs reach half their adult weight at 16 weeks and that smaller dogs reach half their weight sooner, say between 12-14 weeks  If you're trying to guestimate the adult weight of a mini aussie, for us it appears to be about twice his weight at 14 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. So my 17 week old mini aussie weighed 10 at16 weeks. So by that calculation. He would weigh 20 lbs full grown but everyone says his feet are huge so he will be huge. Im hoping no more than 30 lbs. 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much does he wiegh now, Very Hopefull it was what you wanted. (I know he's not full grown yet but I still wonder!)

    ReplyDelete